We filled the pool with our well water and it is still orange and rusty after 2 shocks. What can we do?
Thanks for the enlightened post there Gerald..
First thing you will want to do is get a sample (about a pint) of your water down to your local pool store and have them do a full spectrum analysis on it. Make sure they test for the following:
Total dissolved solids
Post back here with these results or feel free to email them to me at email@example.com With this information it will tell us exactly what's going on with your water.
Bacterial iron is a common and spreading problem among well users. This bacteria isn't harmful to humans and feeds on iron in ground water. The problem it poses to pool owners is that as the bacteria encounter chlorine they are killed. When they die they drop organic iron compounds into the water. At certain levels this iron can stain clothing, hair, skin, and the pool material. There is only one way to control this and that's through a sequestering agent. This binds the organic metals into inorganic salts so that they can't precipitate out of the water and cause staining.
The orange/rusty stuff could also just be nothing more than organic material sediment. But only a full spectrum analysis on your pool water will tell us exactly what it is.
Let it settle for a week or so then vacuum and backwash. One of those gel cubes could help. Run the filter for 24 hours.
The problem isn't anything that shock is going to take care of. You have very hard water coming from the well, which just means that it is very high in mineral content. I'd go to a pool supply store and ask them what they recommend. It would probably be a good idea to bring a sample of your water with you in a clean water bottle.
When we do our spring fill-up we have to let the"orange rusty looking matter" settle out, then vacuum it off the bottom. I don't think shocking it makes much difference. We have a 27,000 gallon pool, it take a few days.
Hey Fool---You knew your water is tanted orange rusty and taste bad. That is why you bought a water system for the house--so you can drink the water and bath.. It is too late your well is suffering because of all the water taken out. Start the pump and filter and buy the filters till the system is clear. Try more bleach and that should clear up the water smell. If all failes get two Gators and put them in the pool---they love brown nasty water. . Good luck
More Related Questions & Answers...